Home Made Protein Bars
Are you wondering how to make your own protein bars?
What makes protein bars so great? …did you ever find yourself wondering about that?
By my opinion what makes protein bars so great is simple fact that you can take them with you anywhere you go and they can always make a great snack pre or post workout.
On the other end there are also other facts we can discuss about… most of them have some “weird” ingredients, low quality ingredients, taste like **** and not to mention are overpriced. Yes you can find some exceptions, but in general that is the case.
So what now?
Well if you think about it, you can always make your own protein bars which might not be packed in “fancy envelope”, but you will be sure that all ingredients are suitable to serve the purpose (your home made protein bars will be packed will all the right nutrients) and you can make them taste any way you like.
Let us now get back to our home made protein bars recipe…
- 3 cups raw oats (organic if possible)
- 1 cup whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate… add this only in case you wish to increase protein value, other ingredients already have quite decent amount of protein)
- 1 cup peanut butter (organic if possible, and you can also use almond butter if you prefer it)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt (organic if possible… and you can use vanilla to make it sweeter, I prefer plain)
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate (70% or more)
- ½ cup chopped raisins, dates or figs
- ½ cup chopped seeds or nuts (or combo)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup whole sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or hemp seeds (you can also mix them all)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a baking dish with coconut oil or butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Take a large bowl and combine all dry ingredients in it.
- Take other bowl and combine all wet ingredients in it.
- Now mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and make sure they are thoroughly combined.
- Now mix in the chocolate.
- Taste it now and add more peanut butter or something if you feel like it could be better.
- Add protein powder to the mix.
- Put your mixture into dish you have prepared before, and spread it evenly.
- Set your timer to 15 minutes and put your dish into oven.
- After 15 minutes of baking take your dish out of the oven and let it cool a little.
- Now it is time to slice your bars to size and shape you like.
- Take a cookie sheet and spread your bars over.
- Put them back into oven for another 15 minutes.
- Baking is done, now take them out and let them cool completely.
- Wrap and store them in the refrigerator.
You just made your home made protein bars.
Please leave your thoughts in comments section below.